Is God an ever-shrinking pasty covering the gap in our knowledge?

All the general religion debates and discussions you could ever want. If your topic pertains to a more specific religion, post it to one of the sub-forums here, if a suitable one exists.
Forum rules
This is a debate-friendly forum. Board-wide rules apply, but expect things to get heated. Further, this is a forum about religion; it is not a religious forum. We do host some "religious" communities here that allow fellowship away from hostile debate, and you may access them by joining the appropriate group from your User Control Panel.
Secularick
Site Admin
Site Admin
Registered for: 1 month

Is God an ever-shrinking pasty covering the gap in our knowledge?

Unread post by Secularick »

Sometimes called the "god of the gaps," there is a long-running idea that theism, in whatever form it may take, is meant to simply provide the answers that current science seems unable to.

Where do lightning bolts come from? Zeus threw them.

Why is the sea unsuitable for sail? Poseidon's angry.

Etc.

But as humanity has figured out how things around them work, an increasing number of gods have been relegated to the dustbin of history, with many people nowadays believing in gods which perform very few definitive actions that can be looked to as evidence of their existence, gods which, for example, move in "mysterious ways."

Within the context of science and religion… It's hard to argue against that. It does seem as though the more knowledge we gain as a species, the less we need a god for.

I submit, therefore, that the best god to believe in, if one chooses to believe in a god, is a transcendent one, one for which there aren't falsifiable apologetics carefully curated.

As a video game character cannot discern the will of their programmers — programmers who are altogether apart from and fundamentally different than the game world — so to would humanity be altogether incapable of discerning the mind or actions of a truly transcendent god.

The metaphor that God is above us the same way we are above an ant isn't enough. Ants and humans share many similar qualities; we are fundamentally the same — carbon-based lifeforms that eat, poop, and mate. If there is a god that created all that is, that god would be as beyond us as a galaxy is to an atom, and even that may be too similar a metaphor.

Secularick, A Friendly Neighborhood Human Guy
One more time around oughtta do it.
amazingmeag11

I am...

Unread post by amazingmeag11 »

I fully agree with this assessment. However, I still choose to believe in the Christian God until there is definitive proof to debunk him. No theories, no speculations, no probabilities. I need cold, hard fact to prove his lack of existence.

Meagan Ratliff :D
amazingmeag11
John 14:18 "I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you."
The Grawlyn's Way
Secularick
Site Admin
Site Admin

I need cold, hard fact to disprove that there isn’t a four-inch invisible, pink, massless unicorn standing on my shoulder.

amazingmeag11

I am...

Secularick wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:29 pm I need cold, hard fact to disprove that there isn’t a four-inch invisible, pink, massless unicorn standing on my shoulder.
Yes! Me too! I've always had the lingering feeling that something similar was on my shoulder, too. What a strange coincidence, huh?

amazingmeag11
The Grawlyn's Way
Secularick
Site Admin
Site Admin

The point is, anyone can claim anything exists, and provided that such thing doesn't include any details that can be falsified, the claim is impossible to disprove. I can't disprove that a non-corporeal deity exists on some higher plane of reality which defies discoverability… but at the same time, nobody can prove that such a being exists either. This makes it a not-very-useful belief in that it can be substituted with dang near anything else without changing much.

amazingmeag11

I am...

Speaking from a scientific standpoint, if God(s) created this world and everything in it, then it is likely that it/they created science. That would lead me to believe that there has to be some sort of scientific evidence to either prove or disprove it's/their existence.

So here's my hypothesis: "If God(s) exist, then there is scientific evidence for the existence of God(s)."
Alternatively, given that it is easier to disprove a hypothesis than to prove it: "If God(s) do not exist, then there is scientific evidence for the nonexistence of God(s)."

Just because we haven't found evidence doesn't mean God(s) are nonexistent.

amazingmeag11
The Grawlyn's Way