Liberals get ready to fill out your reports on me...!

Simultaneously the world's biggest religion and the one most relevant to most of the Western world, Christianity has had an unfathomable impact on everything from science to healthcare, both for better and for worse. Does it have merit? Discuss here.
Forum rules
This is a debate-friendly forum. Board-wide rules apply, but expect things to get heated. Christian apologetics and theology can be debated here by believer and unbeliever alike, but be respectful. For example, a debate one when a person should be baptized cannot be ended by someone arguing that the debate is moot because there is no God. Arguments against Christianity are allowed here, but they shouldn't be used to derail conversations which assume the validity of the faith.
Secularick
Site Admin
Site Admin
Registered for: 4 months

Liberals get ready to fill out your reports on me...!

Unread post by Secularick »

I've been seeing this post passed around Facebook a lot lately. I haven't a clue who wrote the original, though, as the post is being shared as if it's written by my friends rather than shared from elsewhere -- plagiarism is the friend of those too lazy to think, I suppose.

Anyway, here it is in its entirety:
Anonymous wrote:Liberals get ready to fill out your reports on me, cause I'm going to vent here. Frankly I expect some "unfriending" to happen and that is fine too.
I believe we all have the right to worship as we please, but I also know that our country, the United States of America, was founded on Christian principles.
I believe we should be proud of our country. A quote is a quote. It should not be amended or watered down. The news media organizations should not be afraid to use the "Love of Christ" part. Why they state, “Because, using the words Christ or God might offend someone!” Well, now it's my turn to be offended!
I'm offended that the news media would edit it out.
Offended that Christians are being asked to tread lightly, so as not to offend someone of another religion. This man, Jesus, loved God, loved his people, loved the world, and gave his life for the sins of all people. Those who believe in Him, and accept Him as their personal Savior, will have everlasting life !!!
This Founding Principle is actually embedded in our Declaration of Independence: “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit
of Happiness.”
I hope every Christian or every person that believes in God who is OFFENDED will copy this and paste it to their status.....
“If we ever forget that we're one nation under GOD, then we will be a nation gone under.” ~Ronald Reagan.
*Before you say it, I already know that a lot of you don't copy & paste.* It’s easy... hold your finger on this post when the word copy appears just touch it then go to your home page and where it says "what's on your mind" touch it and hold your finger where you would start writing your comment and "paste”
If you read this to the end, can I get an "Amen”?
So let's break this down a little bit:
Liberals get ready to fill out your reports on me, cause I'm going to vent here. Frankly I expect some "unfriending" to happen and that is fine too.
It's always a bad sign when you value copy/pasted material more than your friendships. And of course, it's copy/pasted material, so let's leave all of the "I..." stuff in there, for maximum fakeness.
I believe we all have the right to worship as we please, but I also know that our country, the United States of America, was founded on Christian principles.
How can we have the right to worship as we please if the country was founded on Christian principles? Christianity has, at its absolute core, an exclusivity clause: "I am the way, the truth, and the light; no one comes to the Father except by me," Jesus said. Christianity says that you're either worshiping God via Christ or you're a slave to sin and doomed to eternal hellfire. In other words, if America was founded on Christian principles, there would be no freedom to worship how we please.

However, we can conclude simply from the fact that we have freedom to worship (which we do) that America was not founded on Christian principles. We don't have to look at anything else to come to that conclusion at this point, but we could look at things like the Treaty of Tripoli (made with Muslims) declaring that America wasn't a Christian nation -- a treaty written during and passed within the era in which the Founders were largely still alive and active in American politics. Likewise, the notable involvement of deist Thomas Jefferson and atheist Thomas Paine in the creation of America cannot be ignored.
I believe we should be proud of our country. A quote is a quote. It should not be amended or watered down. The news media organizations should not be afraid to use the "Love of Christ" part. Why they state, “Because, using the words Christ or God might offend someone!” Well, now it's my turn to be offended!
This is such a mangled together string of sentences that I'm not sure exactly what is being kvetched about, but I'll do my best. I'm assuming that somewhere someone said something about being proud of America and linked that somehow to "the love of Christ," but that when quoted, that part was left out and in an imagined response by the "news media organizations," they said that they left it out because "the words Christ or God might offend someone."

All I can think is... Leave it to someone from a make-believe religion to have make-believe offenses over really stupid little small things.

First, no one is saying you can't be proud of your country. Plenty of us would argue that there isn't much that America does that we should be proud of, but that would require people actually paying attention to the country, a country with an unfortunate history laden with xenophobia, racism, sexism, war-for-oil, genocide of native peoples, and so much more. Our biggest successes are cultural, with the American religion of Hollywood and McDonald's being exported the world over, but that's largely because we've been the loudest most prideful in our achievements. Just how many awards ceremonies do American performers need to stroke their own egos while working "dream jobs" and making untold millions of dollars while pretending to fight for the little guy...? Anyway, I digress.

If we were to look at the Bible, it's pretty clear that God doesn't appreciate his name being taken or used in vain ways; Christians ought to be glad that people aren't saying Jesus or Christ willy-nilly on most of media.How likely is it that the people doing so would be genuine? We have a whole television network dedicated to Jesus-speak, and it's pretty clear that most of the people on there wouldn't know Christ if they tripped over him in the streets!
I'm offended that the news media would edit it out.
I'm offended that everyone copy/pasting this doesn't edit it to to not be complete and utter nonsense.
Offended that Christians are being asked to tread lightly, so as not to offend someone of another religion. This man, Jesus, loved God, loved his people, loved the world, and gave his life for the sins of all people. Those who believe in Him, and accept Him as their personal Savior, will have everlasting life !!!
I see signs a lot that say "Jesus lives!" ... Did he give his life, or is he alive? What a conflicting message! Anyway, the rest of this is just pure assumption. One could replace "Jesus" with anything. This man, Ygumbi XII, loved God loved his people, loved the world, and gave his life for the sins of all people. Those who believe in him, and accept him as their personal savior, will have everlasting life." Do I have proof of Ygumbi XII's existence and deeds? Well, no, you just gotta have faith; about as much as a mustard seed ought to do ya.

Also, did Jesus give his life for the sins of all people... or just those who believe in him? Because if its the former, then my sins are covered whether I believe or not. If the latter, then you're lying to make your message more palatable to yourselves because you don't like the idea that God only picked a tiny amount of people for salvation (despite that being the message of Romans, for example).
This Founding Principle is actually embedded in our Declaration of Independence: “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit
of Happiness.”
Never mind that there is no "founding principle" here linked to Christianity (seriously, what is the "principle" being talked about here? "Christian principles" were mentioned earlier, but nothing specific has been brought up!)... The Declaration of Independence is not a legal document, nor does it define the American nation or government! For what constitutes the United States, you'd have to look at, appropriately, the Constitution.

And yes, the Declaration does include mention of "their Creator," but that's a very generic phrase, able to be applied to a variety of religions! In essence, the statement means that our birthrights are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

That Christian principles are not specifically in view in the Declaration is evinced within the next thought, that in order to secure those rights, governments exist... and that they derive their power from the consent of the governed! "Christian principles" regarding governments are that they exist to act as the sword of God and are instituted by him. It is extremely clear from the Declaration that something altogether different than a "Christian principled nation" is in mind, which makes sense when your realize that the Founders were working to create a nation for all (white, male) people!
I hope every Christian or every person that believes in God who is OFFENDED will copy this and paste it to their status.....
I must applaud the inclusive nature of this statement. "Every Christian or person that believes in God" -- so even offended Muslims and such? Amazing! But the most important thing is to copy and paste this as your status! Don't challenge it! Don't edit it! Don't think! Thinking is the enemy!
“If we ever forget that we're one nation under GOD, then we will be a nation gone under.” ~Ronald Reagan.
Reagan said this during a prayer breakfast, 23 August 1984 at Reunion Arena, Dallas, TX. It by no means is anything official. But beyond that, just moments before saying that statement, Reagan remarked that the harbinger for great nations falling in the past has been their "turning away from their God or gods." It's clear that "God" in his usage is simply a figurehead, a guide or hope for a nation, whatever it may be, and that abandoning it leads to downfall.

America had no "God" in its founding; it had a system of checks and balances. If we abandon *it,* and become a nation which rewards corruption and the upending of our political system through ignoring the checks built into it, we will suffer for it.

If "turning from God" is such a bad thing, then a nation turning from "its gods" wouldn't lead to its ruin -- abandoning false gods is a Christian thing, after all, but Reagan admitted that doing it can lead to a nation falling!
*Before you say it, I already know that a lot of you don't copy & paste.* It’s easy... hold your finger on this post when the word copy appears just touch it then go to your home page and where it says "what's on your mind" touch it and hold your finger where you would start writing your comment and "paste”
If you read this to the end, can I get an "Amen”?
If you read this to the end, validate me! Validate me! But most importantly, copy and paste and don't think!

Secularick, A Friendly Neighborhood Human Guy
One more time around oughtta do it.