The best reason to believe in a god?

All the general religion debates and discussions you could ever want. If your topic pertains to a more specific religion, post it to one of the sub-forums here, if a suitable one exists.
Forum rules
This is a debate-friendly forum. Board-wide rules apply, but expect things to get heated. Further, this is a forum about religion; it is not a religious forum. We do host some "religious" communities here that allow fellowship away from hostile debate, and you may access them by joining the appropriate group from your User Control Panel.
Secularick
Site Admin
Site Admin
Registered for: 4 months

The best reason to believe in a god?

Unread post by Secularick »

Philosophy, apologetics, even casual discussion, all have given the world so many reasons why people should believe in a god (or a specific god). Many of these are pretty familiar
  • Everything must have a cause, so something must've been the very first cause; this is god,
  • Goodness exists; if goodness exist, there must be some immutable standard by which actions are judged so that goodness exists in the first place. This is god,
  • and so on.
But all of these have issues which render them pretty, well, untenable.

Perhaps the best reason to believe in a god, and the one which no one can really argue against, is "Because I want to."

It's simple — it makes no unnecessary assumptions.

It's truthful — no one can deny your own wants.

It's personal — it relates god-belief to a wholly personal sphere which keeps it away from science, education, healthcare, and public policy.

Through the millennia as we learned more about the world and failed to find our gods reigning high on their mountains, theistic religions lost a lot of appeal, leading to their leaders inventing more complex reasons to continue to believe, to bolster the veracity of their religion against secular alternatives.

But ultimately? "Because I want to" should be enough. Anything more seems to entirely miss the point. What do you think?

Secularick, A Friendly Neighborhood Human Guy
One more time around oughtta do it.
amazingmeag11

I am...

Unread post by amazingmeag11 »

As a Christian, I completely agree. We live in America, which was a country partially founded on *religious* freedom (not to be confused with Christian freedom). Each individual should be allowed to practice whatever religion, or no religion at all, as they see fit, so long as they are not physically hurting anyone.

Meagan Ratliff :D
amazingmeag11
John 14:18 "I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you."
The Grawlyn's Way
Secularick
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Secularick »

I’d also mention, “as long as they are not infringing the rights of others.”

A pastor can refuse to marry anyone other than heterosexual couples who have never been married before if they choose to, but they should never be allowed to impose those restrictions on other marriages performed by anyone else, especially representatives of the state.

Secularick, A Friendly Neighborhood Human Guy
One more time around oughtta do it.
twicedouble

Unread post by twicedouble »

...but they should never be allowed to impose those restrictions on other marriages performed by anyone else, especially representatives of the state.
This. Exactly this.

Don’t read this sentence.