The Scientific Method

All the general religion debates and discussions you could ever want. If your topic pertains to a more specific religion, post it to one of the sub-forums here, if a suitable one exists.
Forum rules
This is a debate-friendly forum. Board-wide rules apply, but expect things to get heated. Further, this is a forum about religion; it is not a religious forum. We do host some "religious" communities here that allow fellowship away from hostile debate, and you may access them by joining the appropriate group from your User Control Panel.
amazingmeag11
Registered for: 3 months

I am...

The Scientific Method

Unread post by amazingmeag11 »

I found this link and thought it might be productive as a baseline to conversation in this forum.

http://web.fscj.edu/David.Byres/1005ano ... notes.html

What caught my attention was the following statement:

"Experiments are often designed to disprove the hypothesis. This is because it is much easier to disprove a hypothesis than to "prove" it. A single experiment can show that an idea is wrong, but a thousand experiments do not prove that an idea is always correct."

Do with this information as you will. Keep in mind, it may be easier to disprove the existence of God (or disprove his nonexistence -- depending on your official stance on religion).

Meagan Ratliff :D
amazingmeag11
John 14:18 "I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you."
The Grawlyn's Way
Secularick
Site Admin
Site Admin
Registered for: 3 months

Unread post by Secularick »

I think you missed an important piece of information earlier on that page:
David Byres wrote:Hypothesis : an idea, or educated guess, that can be tested.
If God is the hypothesis which is to be "disproved" via the scientific method, it's up to the people who make the hypothesis to come up with ways to test it to see if it holds water, not anyone else's. The burden of proof always lies upon the one making the claim.

Secularick, A Friendly Neighborhood Human Guy
One more time around oughtta do it.